Flu Vaccines For Children in Garfield County
When it comes to safeguarding the health of our children, few measures are as vital as ensuring they receive their annual flu vaccines. In a world where children are constantly exploring, learning, and interacting, they are also more susceptible to the seasonal influenza virus.
The flu can disrupt their lives, their peers, and yours as a parent as well, and the power to protect them lies in a simple, yet potent tool, the flu vaccine. For most children, the flu shot is safe, effective, and offers peace of mind for both the child, their parent, and their peers they see weekly in various school settings.
So. What is the flu?
Short for influenza, the flu is a contagious viral infection that primarily affects the respiratory system. The influenza virus can be categorized into several different types, including influenza A, B, C, and D. The most common among children are influenza viruses A and B. These are also responsible for most flu outbreaks.
Characterized by a range of symptoms, and severity. The symptoms listed below are typical flu symptoms in all types A, B, C, and D.
- Sore throat
- Runny or stuffy nose
- Muscle or body aches
- Vomiting and diarrhea (more common in children)
Children with preexisting conditions can be more vulnerable to a weakened immune system. This weakened immune system can cause a typical flu sickness to turn into something more serious. These complications include, but are not limited to pneumonia, bronchitis, sinus and ear infections or in more serious cases hospitalization.
When does the flu occur?
The timing of flu outbreaks can vary depending on the region and the specific strain of the influenza virus. In temperate climates, like in Garfield County, the flu season generally peaks during the fall and winter months. Flu season often begins in late autumn, around October or November, and can last through the winter months, peaking between December and February. However, flu activity can sometimes continue into the spring.
This is why it is important to get your flu vaccines now, before flu season starts so that you can minimalize effects should your child be exposed.
What are the benefits of getting the flu shot?
- You reduce the risk of your child getting infected with the flu. This is also the primary benefit of the flu vaccine as it reduces the risk of getting infected and will also reduce its severity should your child still get infected.
- We’ve all heard of “herd immunity”. When a significant portion of the community, or in this case, your child’s school gets the vaccine, it creates a form of community immunity. Making it more difficult for the virus to spread, while minimizing its effect.
- Getting the flu vaccine for your child helps reduce the burden on the healthcare system as this time of year is a busy one.
- Your child is more likely to miss less school due to being vaccinated.
- Getting the flu vaccine can reduce the severity of its effect. Children with some preexisting health conditions will benefit greatly from getting the flu vaccine. Especially if they are in public schools.
- It is extremely easy, and convenient to get the flu shot. You can contact your nearest Castle Valley Children’s Clinic to schedule an appointment.
What types of flu vaccines does Castle Valley give?
Castle Valley Children’s Clinic is currently giving 2 flu vaccinations. Fluzone and Flumist. We can start giving the Fluzone injection for kids as early as 6 months of age. The Flumist vaccination is given as a spray intranasally to kids 2 years and older. We also offer flu vaccine to parents also. So, the whole family can come in and be vaccinated together!
How do we pay for our flu vaccines?
We take cash or will bill your insurance for the flu vaccine.
Getting a flu vaccine is a simple and effective way to protect your child, yourself, and your community from the flu. This vaccine, in most cases reduces the risk of illness, hospitalization, and the overall burden that influenza has on society. It is a valuable preventive measure, especially during the flu season.
Flu Vaccines Near You.
At Castle Valley Children’s Clinic we proudly serve flu shots and vaccinations for the following communities.
- Glenwood Springs
- New Castle
Stop by Castle Valley Children’s Clinic today and get your child’s vaccination as well as your own. Please note that adult flu vaccinations are only for parents whos children are our patients.
If you have any questions about getting your children vaccinated for the flu please contact us at our New Castle Children’s Clinic or our Clinic in Carbondale.